Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Hope for America

I'll preface this by admitting that I am most definitely voting for Barack Obama on election day. I have always admired him, but after reading (listening to the audiobook of) The Audacity of Hope, I trust his judgment and his understanding of the United States, and think he'd make a very good leader. I'm a registered Republican but only out of my strong admiration for the libertarian views of Ron Paul and Barry Goldwater. I think the current Republican party has overstayed its welcome and needs to regroup, hopefully rising out of this mess with more concern about actual fiscal conservatism and less concern about divisive social issues that should be left to the states anyway. John McCain could have made a good president if he were elected back in 2000. He certainly would have handled 9/11 a little better. And he might have made a good president this time around, if not for his old age and his selection of Sarah Palin as his running mate. Even if his health is as sound as he claims it is, the risk of Palin somehow becoming president is too dangerous. Anyway, so yeah, I'm voting Obama on November 4th. And I'm actually feeling optimistic about it.

But moving on, here's a picture I designed of Grover Cleveland in the style of Shepard Fairey's Obama posters. I am in a band called Grover and President Cleveland's likeness is our "logo". This was pretty time consuming but it was fun trying to copy the look faithfully.

Here's the original designs by Shepard Fairey:


And here's Grover's 2008 campaign poster:


Shepard Fairy made a damn good political poster, and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

1 comment:

Bassman said...

Well, I agree with what you have to say about Obama, although I haven't read his book, I feel that he has the fibre that it takes to be a successful leader. And I say this having watched the film 'W' last night, a portrait of a man so unqualified to be president that I was filled with pity for the man and the legacy of a failed presidency and a country now in shambles. And yet I felt so uncomfortable with the thought of liberal John Kerry becoming elected that I plead guilty to voting for W, twice in fact. As W was quoted saying in the film, "Fool me once-shame on you; fool me twice-won't get fooled again."

But I must take exception for the remarks about Barry Goldwater. I remember Barry Goldwater when he ran for president in 1964 against LBJ. AuH2O 4 64, as he was described on the campaign posters back in the day, was a conservative cowboy from the state of Arizona, much like John McCain today. And while I respect his conservative, less-government-is better philosophy, he was a strong reactionary, and he was a hawk who would have lead the country into war. In today's times he would say 'let the greedy banks sink in their own mess', which I don't believe is the answer.